The Charity Challenge

If you are a frequent reader here at silverbrogues, you will know I love a few things in the world of fashion.  I love quirky – things that are wearable, but a little different.  I love local – it is so important to support local talent.  I love styling – I could spend hours looking at pictures in magazines and online, and mixing and matching; trying new out outfit combinations.  I love a good bargain.  And I say ‘love’ a lot!!

I was recently set a challenge by Cathy Martin at CMPR, the very busy lady in charge of the hardworking team behind Belfast FASHIONWEEK.  After spending many years in the audience, last year I worked behind the scenes at FASHIONWEEK (you can read a little about it here).  This year, I intend to go back behind the scenes (more details will follow on this year’s shows), but I will also be part of the catwalk collections too.  I’m beyond excited!

I have teamed up with Cancer Research (thanks to Avril at School Gate Style for the referral!) to style ten outfits selected from their charity stores, ready for your Spring/Summer wardrobe.  After the show, the outfits shown on the catwalk will be available to buy in the charity’s pop-up store.

This is way out of my comfort zone – I love personal styling but when I completed my styling course, this was the part I found most challenging.  I know what clothes suit different people, I can work with your wardrobe to help you feel good about your clothes and yourself, I’ll encourage you to take a chance and try something new, but when it comes to focusing on trends to create a look, I run away a little scared – but then I come back with my take on it;)

So what is my take?? Well, for that you will have to wait and see, but it is not just about mix and matching clothes to make an outfit, it’s about making your wardrobe wearable, making it style that works for you!

But for now, I’m off to empty the bags of goodies I have gathered, wait and see what happens…!

20140123-220400.jpg

Photograph: Alamy in The Guardian

If you would like to buy tickets for this event, head on over to West Coast Cooler FASHIONWEEK (keep Friday 21 March free!!).

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponEmail to someone

8 Comments on The Charity Challenge

1. iwontwearsludgebrown
    January 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM (4 years ago)

Oooooh really looking forward to your next post. Charity shops are places I’ve never ventured purely because I can’t be bothered to rummage. There’s an infamous store quite local where apparently all the WAGs take their stuff. Mind you, they’re not the typical charity shop prices.

Hurry with the next post, can’t wait to see what you managed to pick up to style xx

• silverbrogues
      January 25, 2014 at 1:07 AM (4 years ago)

It’s been a great challenge, and I actually intend to put up a post about my previous experience with charity shops, it’s been really interesting:) I have spotted a few designer bags along the way and a few bargains too! And this challenge has really made me look to my own wardrobe again to value what I already have and use it differently:)

2. Treasuresnpleasures
    January 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM (4 years ago)

Can’t wait to see the results of this Rosanna!! You will be fab!

• silverbrogues
      January 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM (4 years ago)

It’s a really exciting challenge and a great experience in styling:) Thanks for your confidence in me Trea!!

3. weechunkymunky
    January 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM (4 years ago)

Thanks for the inspiration! I was passing my local charity shop today and remembering your latest post, I popped in for a browse. As a result, I am now the very happy owner of a lovely and surprisingly flattering little lacy black dress!

I used to look in charity shops all the time, but it’s been so long I’d forgotten how much fun it can be. You end up trying things you’d walk straight past in another shop. Well it’s such a bargain, why not give it a go? Also what other type of shop can afford you the fun of attempting to match a skirt your granny would wear with a sparkly little top and one of your dads old neck ties? All on the one rail and all for under the cost of the tie when it was full price!

I’m looking forward to taking my new dress out and also hearing more about this latest challenge.

• silverbrogues
      January 25, 2014 at 10:47 PM (4 years ago)

Oh I’m so pleased you had success, it sounds very pretty! And you are so right about trying something new – and what better way to do it than with something supporting a good cause:)

4. jazzy elizabeth
    January 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM (4 years ago)

This is really cool! Go girl, can’t wait to see the result.

• silverbrogues
      February 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM (4 years ago)

I know, it’s a great opportunity! I can’t wait to see the result!!